JOB TITLE: DIRECTOR, KARAKALPAKSTAN STATE MUSEUM OF ART
LOCATION: NUKUS, REPUBLIC OF UZBEKISTAN
SALARY: COMPETITIVE SALARY + BENEFITS
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 15 June 2019
The Karakalpakstan State Museum of Art, also known as the Savitsky Collection or Nukus Museum, possesses the world’s second largest collection of Russian avant garde art after the State Russian Museum in St. Petersburg. It is also home to significant collections of archaeological objects, and folk, applied, and contemporary art from Central Asia.
Igor Savitsky (1915-84) first came to Karakalpakstan in 1950 to join the Khorezm Archaeological and Ethnographic Expedition. He remained in Uzbekistan, methodically collecting Karakalpak arts and crafts, the drawing and paintings of artists linked to Central Asia, and Russian avant garde artworks which were being destroyed by Soviet authorities. The museum was created in 1966, and it is one of the few places in the world where you can see artworks of Russian avant garde and Socialist realism hanging side by side.
The museum has recently built new galleries so that a greater proportion of the collection -- a total of nearly 100,000 artefacts and artworks -- can be put on display. 223 masterpieces were sent to Moscow for the Treasures of Nukus exhibition at the Pushkin Museum in 2017 -- the first time they had been seen outside Uzbekistan since the 1960s -- and greater international collaboration is a priority for the museum’s future development.
The Director oversees all areas of the museum’s operations, including its annual budget and fundraising activities, staffing, exhibition planning, programming, and development. The role combines managerial, financial, and business skills. There is an expectation that you will work closely with the Art & Culture Development Foundation under the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Uzbekistan to plan and implement an ambitious development plan for the museum to raise its international profile, strengthen its financial position, and conserve its collection for the future.
The four priorities for the new Director are to:
● Modernise the museum;
● Improve the core competencies and qualifications of staff;
● Introduce advanced museum management technologies and processes;
● Raise the international profile of the museum and build international partnerships.
● A postgraduate degree in History of Art, Museum Studies, Archeology and Anthropology, or another relevant field;
● A minimum of four years experience at a senior level in a museum, gallery, cultural organisation, or other relevant institution;
● A proven track record in setting, implementing, and achieving strategic objectives;
● Fluency in English, and preferably also in Russian;
● Excellent interpersonal skills and a high level of professional integrity.
HOURS: 09:00 to 18:00, Monday to Friday.
SALARY: Competitive salary. Enquire for details.
CONTRACT LENGTH: Three years.
ANNUAL LEAVE: 15-22 days.
PENSION BENEFITS: DBP (Defined Benefit Plan) per Uzbekistani pension laws.
OTHER BENEFITS: Accommodation allowance; company car; medical insurance.
Applications should be submitted in English, Russian or Uzbek to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please put APPLICATION and your full name in the email subject field. The deadline for applications is 15 June, 2019.
Your application should include all of the following items:
● Curriculum Vitae (maximum three pages);
● Passport copy and passport size photo;
● Copy of postgraduate degree certificate;
● Three reference letters, including one from your current or previous employer;
● Statement outlining the reason for your application (max. 600 words);
● Statement on your objectives for the museum’s development (max. 500 words);
● Museum development project presentation consisting of the following areas: visitor engagement; collection development; or international cooperation (min. 10 slides, PDF format).
Презентация проекта развития музея состоящая из трех частей: привлечение посетителей, развитие коллекции и международное сотрудничество (минимум 10 слайдов в формате PDF).
Shortlisted applicants will be notified in writing after June 15, 2019 and will be interviewed in person in Nukus, Uzbekistan during the week beginning June 19, 2019. The successful candidate will be announced in July, 2019. Queries about the role and the application process should be sent to Ravshan Saliev (Opencall@acdf.uz)